More than 2,000 Buddhist monuments still stand on the archaeological site of Pagan, capital of Myanmar from 1044 until the Mongol invasion in 1287. This major eight-volume work by Pierre Richard is the first complete inventory of the treasures to be found at this exceptional site.
Pages are dedicated to each monument which comprises line drawings, photographs and descriptive text.
Volume III: Monuments 553–818
Records start around Minnanthu before going north towards Nyaung U, where outstanding mural paintings are found in the Nanda-ma-nya-hpaya and in the temples of the Winido group. The fourteenth-century Hsin-byu-shin monastic complex is represented in full, followed by the great Sula-mani-gu-hpaya temple of 1172 and the Dhamma-yan-gyi temple with its mysteriously blocked inner corridor. The inventory then proceeds to the south to rarely visited monuments such as the Nga-myet-hna-hpaya near Kazun-o and Hpaya-ni, ending up around the Pya-tha-da-gyi.